Concerning Sin: It’s Nature, Extent and Penalty
The Nature of Sin
1. According to Dr. Grudem: Sin is any failure to conform to the moral law of God in act,
attitude or nature.
2. According to our experience: Sin is painful, destructive, foolish and wrong.
3. According to the Bible: Sin is lawlessness. 1 John 3:4
The Extent of Sin
1. It did not begin with God. James 1:13
2. It is not on equal standing with goodness.
3. The created beings originated sin. Isaiah 14:12-15; Gen. 3:1-19
1. It ate away at truth.
2. It ate away at moral standards.
3. It ate away at identity and purpose.
4. We suffer from inherited sin. Romans 5:12; 18-19
The Penalty of Sin
We all earn death and separation from God. Romans 6:23
What about Christians who sin?
1. We can expect a broken fellowship with God. Eph. 4:30
2. We can expect to be disciplined. Hebrews 12:6
3. We can expect life and fruitfulness to be damaged. John 15:4
4. We can rely on God to keep His word. 1 John 1:8-9; 3:2